Friday, September 16, 2011

What kind of Nurse are YOU?

I’ve been thinking lately about the different kind of nurses out there. There seems to be the ones that love nursing for the patient interaction. They love helping people. They just really love people.


Then there are the ones that are more technically minded. The ones that love the diseases, the machines, the procedures, the lab values, and of course they kinda like the people too.

I think I fall into the latter category. If I’m being honest, people scare me. Diseases fascinate me. When I was doing my outpatient surgery rotation I was in love with being in that procedure room. I ate up every last word the physicians said about the procedures. I loved looking at the monitors and watching the vital signs of the patient under anesthesia. Being able to see inside that patient’s body was absolutely amazing.

I’m still struggling with my patient communication thing. I have a really hard time talking to the patients. I’m pretty good at reading lab values, looking over the chart, understanding the disease process, and knowing what needs to be done, but when it comes to actually having to have a conversation with them, I still have a really hard time.

I wonder if it is something I am going to get over, or if it is something that will always be difficult for me.

So what kind of Nurse are YOU?


12 comments:

  1. I love the people (for the most part). I love to hear their stories and ease their pain. Sometimes I feel like all the charting and care-planning and hoops we have to jump through just get in the way of taking care of people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the toys! I mean if a person is attached then OK I will deal with them... lol... But I like the machines, the IV drips, the OR toys! I really want to roll 'em in drugged up and roll 'em out semiconscious. Without having to be the waitress to the family and drug seeking behaviors of most med-surg floors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really interesting! I am not a nurse, but I really do admire them, whatever kind they are. I enjoyed reading about what can go through a nurse's mind and that there ARE different kinds of nurses with different kinds of interests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it weird that I don't fall into either category? I love talking to patients and making them feel better when they leave than when they came in, but half the reason I became a nurse was the technical side of things - I still, several years in, find it fascinating - not in an odd gorey way, but with a genuine scientific interest.

    www.nursingtimesjobs.com/landingpage/2563877/practice-nurse-jobs/

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So what kind of Nurse are YOU?"

    Ah, I love people. I believe I belong to the first category, eh. I want to care and I want to know different kinds of people and understand them. :)

    Cheers,
    Peny@Top 5 Healthcare Settings in US with High Demand for Nurses

    ReplyDelete
  6. no one notices your sadness until it turns into anger, and then you are the bad person Fafaslot | Joker Gaming | Joker Gaming | Slot Joker Gaming | Joker Slot | Joker Slot | Slot Joker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe currently being tested financially, calm and happiness Joker Gaming | Sabung Ayam Sv388 | IDNPlay Poker | Joker Gaming

    ReplyDelete

  8. I am very interested in the information contained in this post. The information contained in this post inspired me to generate research ideas. Jurnal Unimuda SorongTeknik
    2

    ReplyDelete