Monday, September 12, 2011

Called out by a friend

The other day I was out chatting with my neighbor. We have become pretty close in the last 4 years since they moved in. I had asked her a few days earlier if she wouldn’t mind me taking some maternity photos of her to get some practice in with my camera.


She was telling me how she was talking to her husband about me wanting to do this, how he said “what is she into now?” and her responding with “Oh you know her. She can’t stay focused on one thing for too long” (I love her brutal honesty).

I thought about that for a while. She’s absolutely right. I really can’t stay focused on one thing for very long. To be honest, I am already starting to wonder what the hell I am doing in nursing school and if this is really what I want to be doing or not.

Looking back on where I have been, I did notice a pattern of focus-to-the-point-of-obsession on something, only to suddenly drop it and get focused on something completely different. I did kind of know this about myself when I started this Nursing journey. One of the reasons I picked Nursing was for the diversity it brings. Is it going to be enough for me though? Is this something I am going to be able to stay in for the long run or am I going to get bored two, maybe three years in? I’d really hate to think that I am doing all this work for nothing, but I’m only half way through the program and I am already starting to have doubts about my long term future in Nursing. Hell, I’m even already starting to think about the next thing I can focus on (photography – see, completely different direction).

I just can’t figure out what makes me do this.


4 comments:

  1. Oh dear.

    Well only you know what the right decision is. Maybe speak with a professor you like a lot or someone who can give you an unbiased opinion. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, but I know you'll make the best decision for you :)

    ps, I'm loving the pictures you've been taking and adding on facebook. You have a real knack for photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, you won't regret it. I've been a nurse for 5 years...... All at the same job, when i previously didn't stay at a job for six months due to my lack of interest or needing something different. Nursing will quench your thirst my friend. Stick with it and finish school! Then once you're in the work force, jump to every different area until you're heart is content. You will never run out of options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way. I think that being interested in many things is a mark of genius. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess, this out of focus thing is part of your being an outgoing person. Check yourself if what goal in life you really want. What do you want in your life? What do you want to attain? Then choose the right direction for your goal? If nursing is not the appropriate direction, then stop studying nursing, and start on photography. However, you need to focus on thinking on what you really want in life, eh. Remember that without direction, life will always be futile.

    ReplyDelete