Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Just call me a quitter

I will be handing in my resignation from my job on Monday. I am so nervous about it. I don’t even know how to quit. What would be the best way to do this? I have a letter of resignation already typed up but beyond that, I have no idea how to approach this. I have been with this company for over 6 years, which in the grand scheme of things doesn’t seem like very long but to me, it is a pretty long time. What makes me even more nervous about it is the fact that my boss has been talking quite a bit recently about her plans for the future for me. She wants to make me a Project Lead. She has been talking about how she wants to see things in 3,4,5, and 6 months from now and where she thinks I can go. It makes me feel bad about leaving this position and part of me feels so sneaky since I have known I was going to quit for a while now and haven’t said a word. I knew I was going to quit when I took this position and didn’t say anything. I just let them think I was in it for the long haul when I knew I wasn’t. I know that this is going to disappoint her.


Does that make me an immoral person? Or is it something I just chalk up to doing what I needed to do for the greater good?

3 comments:

  1. You have to do what is right for you. Don't get guilty feelings about it. (Look at me, orientation queen...been through so many...I should be the one feeling guilty!)
    Honestly, you have given them 6 years...and that IS a lot of time.
    But if nursing is in your heart...that is what you want to do - then no apologies.
    Don't burn your bridges. You always want to leave on a good note. You always want to be thankful for what you've learned where you are...but everyone has their dreams, and if you have the opportunity to get to live it sometime in your life...then I say go for it!
    No Regrets! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just do it, it will all work out. No regrets! I miss blogging with you guys!! I am always behind:-( Didn't even know you went on vaca, couldn't you have taken me with ya? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handing in my resignation back in 2008 for the job I had for 4 years was very rewarding. I was a manager and in charge of an entire store, employees and all. I felt like I had so much responsibility and how would they operate without me. Turns out they could and did. Moving on to a new career should be focusing on you and no one else. I wish you the best of luck Monday and enjoy that sigh of relief as you hand over the news.

    ReplyDelete