Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 01: My Relationship

I met my husband my freshman year of high school in gym class. I guess those sexy uniforms and all that teenage sweat did him in. He used to leave little stuffed animals and flowers on my doorstep. He would call and tell me to look outside and I would find them sitting there.

We were friends first. We had a group of friends that would hang out and ride my go cart, swim in my parent’s pool, beat each other up playing basketball in gym. Before he got his truck he would ride his bike to my house all the time. We would go to the nearby park and just hang out.

Toward the end of my freshman year he passed me a note that said “I am asking you this in a note because I don't have the balls to do it in person. Would you go out with me?” (Thank God he didn’t put “check yes or no”)

I said no.

We remained friends.

Summer came and we continued to hang out all.the.time. One day, I saw him differently. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly what changed, but I realized I had feelings for him. I hoped I didn’t ruin my chances by saying no before and wished he would ask me again.

He did.

This time in person.

I said yes.

I went to a different high school after that but we continued to “go out” throughout high school. I moved about 2 hours away for college and he drove up there nearly every weekend to see me. A year later, he proposed. (I am still not entirely convinced that it wasn’t because he was tired of putting all those miles on his truck and just wanted to get me closer, but I digress...)


I SO wish I was that skinny again...

I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 9 years now. (OMG that just made me feel so old - and the fact that we look like we were 12 in that pic doesn't help).


I would be a liar if I said our relationship was perfect. That we are best friends. We have definitely had our share of hard times but so far have managed to pull through them, I wouldn’t say stronger, but definitely wiser.

I will say that our relationship is a work in progress. That I do love him. That it scares me every time he runs out of the house to fight a fire. I really can't imagine life without him. I am content.

He gave me two amazing children.


He has a huge heart and he makes me proud to be his wife.
(For the record. This was from an 80's party. I don't normally dress in fishnets)



4 comments:

  1. I call BS. You totally dress in fishnets on the daily.


    What a sweet post, y'all were SO young when you got married!!! And I love the pic with daddy and his daughters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the post too, and life and marriage are always a work in progress. My dad is a retired firefighter and my mom use to say that she would do her best to stay on a positive note each time he went to work in case something happened. Nice pictures, and fishnets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is sooo sweet! :) Ya'll are a lovely couple and I am sooo jealous of the fishnet photo. lmao. Might have to go shopping this coming weekend..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!!! Great hearing stories of relationships... :)
    I have never met anyone that is married to their highschool sweetheart that they met in first year! wow. Impressive and amazing.

    ReplyDelete