Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Why am I doing this again?

I came across a blog today where they listed their reasons for going into nursing school. So I thought I would follow their lead and make my own.

I have always had a fascination with the medical field. Fresh out of high school I went straight to college and started working on the EMT program at a community college. Long story short, My husband asked me to marry him, I moved back home had some babies and got myself a nice comfy office job in the corporate world where I sit today, as unhappy as ever.

My kids need a happy mom. I hate my job so much that it comes home with me. It is hard to be happy when you are at a 9-5 job, hating every Godforsaken second you are there. Every little thing at this craphole irritates the shit out of me. I have a hard time switching off the irritability when I clock out and my kids deserve FAR better than what I have been giving them. So does my husband.

I want a CAREER not a JOB. I want something that I can be happy doing. I realize nursing is not all sunshine and rainbows, but the difference between a career and a job is actually doing something that comes from the heart, and is something you care about doing.

I need a challenge. Oh boy, what a challenge nursing school seems to be! I am looking forward to getting in the program and having my boundaries pushed, my thinking questioned, and my abilities tested.

I want to be someone my children look up to. I want them to look at me and be proud of their mother. I want to set a good example for them and show them that they don’t have to settle for mediocre.

My best friend died. No, this isn’t some story about the amazing nurses that inspired me to become one myself. She never made it to the hospital. This IS a story of how she made me realize that life is just too short to be living it unhappily. It is time I did something for ME. Something that I will be proud to tell people I do. Something that can make a difference in not only the life of my (soon to be) patients, but my own life as well.

There you have it. There are a few other reasons: I need a sense of community that some nurses seem to have with each other and I am tired of sitting on my ass all day. For the most part, I just want to be a damn nurse.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh the magical power of scrubs to make almost anyone look sexy.... You are not alone it this idea.

    ReplyDelete