Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 3 & 4 - I'm still here....barely

Case Study: 29 year old female presents with shaky hands, slurring words, and is babbling incoherantly. Dark circles are noted under eyes. Children have followed female in shouting "Mommy! Mommy!" while obvious ticks are apparent in patient. Patient assumes fetal position on the floor while saying "all research and no play makes mommy a bad mommy".

Possible Nursing Diagnosis':

Anxiety R/T inability to focus on needs of family while in school AEB twitching and assuming the fetal position

Ineffective Coping R/T situational crises AEB Insomnia


It's been a rough couple of weeks. I'm stressing big time about this stupid research paper I have to get done in a week. Oh, and my part of the group project that I need to have done at the same time. (Our group has FINALLY decided to start communicating...finally). Oh, AND I still need to contact my geri patient and start my health assessment project. So much to do and the time seems to be running out quick. I always say I work better under pressure but I really hate the stress it brings.

Other than my usual procrastination on major projects, everything else seems to be going well. We are actually learning some fun things in my Skills class. I feel like we are finally learning how to be a nurse. Call me crazy but I find the nursing process pretty interesting.

Things at home? Not so great. The kids are really whinning for some mommy time, the husband doesn't seem to be pitching in as much as he promised he would and most days he isn't even around. He seems to think because I am only in class for 4 hours a day that I have all the time in the world to do everything else. He promised me that he knew what we were in for, that he would really pick up the slack and wouldn't get on me so much about the house being clean, or laundry being done, but he has definitely backed out on that promise and doesn't understand why I am barely speaking to him when I do see him.

I gave him the last 2 years to get into his volunteering at the fire department. I put up with him running out of the house at the drop of a tone and not knowing when he would return. I put up with him choosing the fire department over his family more times than I can count. I asked him to give me my turn for 2 years. 2 years of dedication to what I want and he can't even give me a week.

Obviously I am very frustrated with the man right now. I could go on and on but I better stop before it gets any worse.


1 comment:

  1. Hang in there. I've been promised by my hubby that he won't resent me for going to school for nursing and so far he's been wonderful but I fear the other shoe will drop and the help will run out.

    ReplyDelete